Police launch probe after viewing Barrow dog attack footage
Last updated at 13:20, Monday, 24 March 2014
POLICE have done a U-turn over their stance on a vicious Barrow dog attack.
They have launched a probe after two Staffordshire bull terriers carried out a savage attack on another dog.
Earlier this week a force spokesman said no crime had been committed as the animals had been on leads at the time.
Now Inspector Dave Stalker, of Barrow police, said after viewing CCTV footage on the Evening Mail website they were now investigating if any laws had been broken.
The Evening Mail reported on Wednesday how bike repair shop owner Adrian Hughes ended up in A&E after the incident.
The 56-year-old, who runs Cycle 100 in Ramsden Street, told how he saw two staffies attacking a collie dog being walked by his owner about 1.50pm on Tuesday.
He said the animals shot across the street and mauled the terrified dog and when he intervened to try and separate the animals he ended up being bitten.
He was bandaged up by medical staff and had to have a tetanus injection. The businessman said that he feared that if it had been a small child they could have been killed by such a ferocious attack.
He was angry that police had not taken any action.
Mr Hughes said he had gone into Barrow police station to complain about the lack of action but he was pleased that police had changed their minds.
He said: “I said what if one of their officers had to deal with those dogs another time?
“It’s down to the Crown Prosecution Service to make the final decision in the end.”
Insp Stalker said: “Officers have come across an incident in the street. They dealt with what they were presented with at the time.
“Subsequently CCTV footage became available and it was reviewed and an investigation opened.
“Information will be followed up and then appropriate action taken against anyone committing any offences.
“Cumbria police take any reported animal cruelty or dangerous dog complaints seriously, and will work with others to ensure positive action is taken and the public kept safe.”
First published at 16:01, Friday, 21 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|