Police launch murder probe
Last updated at 14:59, Sunday, 06 May 2012
POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man who was discovered in a street with serious head injuries.
The 44-year-old died last night at Furness General Hospital.
He has been named as Paul Eugene Green, of Adelphi Court, Barrow.
Mr Green was found lying in Penrith Street, Barrow, about 12.45am on Thursday by a passer-by. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are investigating the death of Paul with the full weight of the resources available to us and I would appeal for anyone who can assist us with our inquiries to come forward.
“At this time our thoughts are with the family of Paul and we are providing them with support through specially trained officers.
“We believe Paul was in the area bounded by Penrith Street, Greengate Street, Rawlinson Street and Ramsden Street immediately prior to the incident which led to his death.
“We also believe he was inside the Rams Head pub on Rawlinson Street while a party was going on that night.
“If you were there that evening, please call us with any information you have. It may be useful to us.”
A cordon was set up around Penrith Street on Thursday morning as a police photographer and scenes of crime investigators worked at the scene, while other officers carried out door-to-door inquiries.
Mr Green was described as about 6ft tall, of slim to medium build and with receding brown hair.
On the night of the incident, he was wearing a grey sweatshirt, cream combat trousers and white adidas trainers with black stripes down the side.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
l Two Barrow men – a 42-year-old and a 29-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were last night in custody undergoing questioning.
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Really sad to hear about another murder in Barrow. I pray for Pauls family and friends. I hope Barrow CID dont cover up this murder like they did when my son Jamie was murdered several years ago.
Make your comment
- Update 7.30am: Three males in Cumbria Police custody after BMW car flipped on to its roof
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock (2 comments)
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair (5 comments)
- Barrow AFC to go full-time
- Haney set for Barrow Raiders return
- Askam fall to Blackbrook defeat: with picture gallery
- Millom keep up winning run
- Askam football ace ready to take on the world with England (1 comment)
- Paddlers steam ahead on choppy Coniston Water
- Barrow Raiders have fingers crossed for Ward
- Post Office close to delivering Ulverston League shock
- Taylor keen to stay at Barrow AFC (2 comments)
- New manager at Crooklands Casuals
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers