Police launch murder probe
Last updated at 14:59, Sunday, 06 May 2012
POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man who was discovered in a street with serious head injuries.
The 44-year-old died last night at Furness General Hospital.
He has been named as Paul Eugene Green, of Adelphi Court, Barrow.
Mr Green was found lying in Penrith Street, Barrow, about 12.45am on Thursday by a passer-by. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are investigating the death of Paul with the full weight of the resources available to us and I would appeal for anyone who can assist us with our inquiries to come forward.
“At this time our thoughts are with the family of Paul and we are providing them with support through specially trained officers.
“We believe Paul was in the area bounded by Penrith Street, Greengate Street, Rawlinson Street and Ramsden Street immediately prior to the incident which led to his death.
“We also believe he was inside the Rams Head pub on Rawlinson Street while a party was going on that night.
“If you were there that evening, please call us with any information you have. It may be useful to us.”
A cordon was set up around Penrith Street on Thursday morning as a police photographer and scenes of crime investigators worked at the scene, while other officers carried out door-to-door inquiries.
Mr Green was described as about 6ft tall, of slim to medium build and with receding brown hair.
On the night of the incident, he was wearing a grey sweatshirt, cream combat trousers and white adidas trainers with black stripes down the side.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
l Two Barrow men – a 42-year-old and a 29-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were last night in custody undergoing questioning.
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Really sad to hear about another murder in Barrow. I pray for Pauls family and friends. I hope Barrow CID dont cover up this murder like they did when my son Jamie was murdered several years ago.
Make your comment
- Lakes team can’t wait to race with ‘best of the best’ in Barrow
- Barrow race flag design contest gets off to a flying start
- Barrow driver charged with attempted GBH by car remanded in custody
- Evening Mail readers offer to rehome abandoned Jack
- Furness General midwife 'should never work again' - mother
- Cornered Barrow thief caused fracas
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Harvey wants new Barrow AFC deal
- Harrison fit again for Barrow Raiders
- Fan-tastic celebrations for Barrow AFC: with picture gallery
- Lakes riders shine in South Cumbria time trials: with picture gallery
- Runners make dash for Dalton 10k
- South Cumbrian darter aims for world's top 64
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- High toll in struggle for beaches and barren hills
- Verses tell of lost lives
- Town ship took centre stage for major amphibious landing
- Research backs up spine theory
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology