Police launch murder probe
Last updated at 14:59, Sunday, 06 May 2012
POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man who was discovered in a street with serious head injuries.
The 44-year-old died last night at Furness General Hospital.
He has been named as Paul Eugene Green, of Adelphi Court, Barrow.
Mr Green was found lying in Penrith Street, Barrow, about 12.45am on Thursday by a passer-by. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are investigating the death of Paul with the full weight of the resources available to us and I would appeal for anyone who can assist us with our inquiries to come forward.
“At this time our thoughts are with the family of Paul and we are providing them with support through specially trained officers.
“We believe Paul was in the area bounded by Penrith Street, Greengate Street, Rawlinson Street and Ramsden Street immediately prior to the incident which led to his death.
“We also believe he was inside the Rams Head pub on Rawlinson Street while a party was going on that night.
“If you were there that evening, please call us with any information you have. It may be useful to us.”
A cordon was set up around Penrith Street on Thursday morning as a police photographer and scenes of crime investigators worked at the scene, while other officers carried out door-to-door inquiries.
Mr Green was described as about 6ft tall, of slim to medium build and with receding brown hair.
On the night of the incident, he was wearing a grey sweatshirt, cream combat trousers and white adidas trainers with black stripes down the side.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
l Two Barrow men – a 42-year-old and a 29-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were last night in custody undergoing questioning.
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Really sad to hear about another murder in Barrow. I pray for Pauls family and friends. I hope Barrow CID dont cover up this murder like they did when my son Jamie was murdered several years ago.
Make your comment
- Fans of Swarthmoor singer await Britain's Got Talent decision
- The ultimate guide to Kidfest in Barrow
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- Witnesses sought after Millom tyre slashing incident
- Charity collection box stolen from South Cumbria garden centre
- Call for legal high crackdown after teens taken ill (2 comments)
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner (1 comment)
- Take a bus trip back to the past