Police launch murder probe
Last updated at 14:59, Sunday, 06 May 2012
POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man who was discovered in a street with serious head injuries.
The 44-year-old died last night at Furness General Hospital.
He has been named as Paul Eugene Green, of Adelphi Court, Barrow.
Mr Green was found lying in Penrith Street, Barrow, about 12.45am on Thursday by a passer-by. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are investigating the death of Paul with the full weight of the resources available to us and I would appeal for anyone who can assist us with our inquiries to come forward.
“At this time our thoughts are with the family of Paul and we are providing them with support through specially trained officers.
“We believe Paul was in the area bounded by Penrith Street, Greengate Street, Rawlinson Street and Ramsden Street immediately prior to the incident which led to his death.
“We also believe he was inside the Rams Head pub on Rawlinson Street while a party was going on that night.
“If you were there that evening, please call us with any information you have. It may be useful to us.”
A cordon was set up around Penrith Street on Thursday morning as a police photographer and scenes of crime investigators worked at the scene, while other officers carried out door-to-door inquiries.
Mr Green was described as about 6ft tall, of slim to medium build and with receding brown hair.
On the night of the incident, he was wearing a grey sweatshirt, cream combat trousers and white adidas trainers with black stripes down the side.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
l Two Barrow men – a 42-year-old and a 29-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were last night in custody undergoing questioning.
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Really sad to hear about another murder in Barrow. I pray for Pauls family and friends. I hope Barrow CID dont cover up this murder like they did when my son Jamie was murdered several years ago.
Make your comment
- Inquest into Windermere sailor's death to take place today
- Police appeal after man attacked by three people in Barrow back street
- Zero hour changes given mixed welcome by Barrow firms
- Man swipes rucksack in Barrow
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria
- Roadworks on A595 near Sellafield to start next week
- M6 lane reopens after multi-vehicle accident
- Girl airlifted to hospital after horse fall in Cumbria
- Haverigg cellmates on ‘Chicken Wing’ hatch cracking business plan
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria ‘Cinderella’ star wows Britain’s Got Talent judges
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (2 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- Barrow Striders leap to success
- Stan shines for Walney in Ulverston League
- Walney fishing comp offers up £1,000 prize
- Moffatt in Fantasy land at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role
- Sad end for village lad who lasted 24 days in trenches
- Soldiers facing a daily struggle
- Three dozen killed in hospital ship attack
- Shock to system as men from India face snow
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music