Police launch murder probe
Last updated at 14:59, Sunday, 06 May 2012
POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man who was discovered in a street with serious head injuries.
The 44-year-old died last night at Furness General Hospital.
He has been named as Paul Eugene Green, of Adelphi Court, Barrow.
Mr Green was found lying in Penrith Street, Barrow, about 12.45am on Thursday by a passer-by. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are investigating the death of Paul with the full weight of the resources available to us and I would appeal for anyone who can assist us with our inquiries to come forward.
“At this time our thoughts are with the family of Paul and we are providing them with support through specially trained officers.
“We believe Paul was in the area bounded by Penrith Street, Greengate Street, Rawlinson Street and Ramsden Street immediately prior to the incident which led to his death.
“We also believe he was inside the Rams Head pub on Rawlinson Street while a party was going on that night.
“If you were there that evening, please call us with any information you have. It may be useful to us.”
A cordon was set up around Penrith Street on Thursday morning as a police photographer and scenes of crime investigators worked at the scene, while other officers carried out door-to-door inquiries.
Mr Green was described as about 6ft tall, of slim to medium build and with receding brown hair.
On the night of the incident, he was wearing a grey sweatshirt, cream combat trousers and white adidas trainers with black stripes down the side.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrow CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
l Two Barrow men – a 42-year-old and a 29-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were last night in custody undergoing questioning.
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Really sad to hear about another murder in Barrow. I pray for Pauls family and friends. I hope Barrow CID dont cover up this murder like they did when my son Jamie was murdered several years ago.
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown