Police identify pensioner who died after his car crashed with a lorry in Cumbria
Last updated at 21:19, Thursday, 05 June 2014
Police identify pensioner who died after his car crashed with a lorry in Cumbria today.
The family of Charles Axten, aged 92, from Silloth paid tribute.
They said: “It is with the deepest sadness that Charles has been so suddenly taken from us.
“Charles, who was born in Essex in the 1920’s, served for many years in the Royal Air Force as a flight engineer. Upon leaving the RAF Charles undertook civilian flight training and worked extensively around East and South Africa flying DC3’s, DC4’s and Beech Barron aircraft for “De Beers”.
"Until fairly recently Charles would enjoy walking and maintaining the active lifestyle he was accustomed to.”
At 11:55am today a black Mitsubishi Outlander driven by Mr Axten along Syke Road towards the A595, was in collision with a wagon which was being driven along the B5305 towards Wigton by a 43 year old male from the Carlisle area. The driver of the wagon received minor injuries.
The road was closed for over 4 hours whilst officers from the Cumbria Police Operational Support Unit and Collision Investigation Unit carried out an investigation.
Police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the collision, or who saw the two vehicles prior to the collision, to contact Cumbria Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 15:44, Thursday, 05 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- UPDATE: Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (6 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Reforms could cause hardship over Christmas in Cumbria
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|