Police confirm Dalton furniture warehouse fire was arson
Last updated at 16:09, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
A FURNITURE warehouse which was completely gutted by a fire was started deliberately, police have confirmed.
The industrial unit belonging to RHS Design in Crooklands Business Park, Ulverston Road, Dalton, suffered an arson attack on February 14 at around 8.10am.
Timber, tools and machinery was destroyed during the incident, with the estimated cost of replacing all the equipment running into the thousands.
It has left the company unable to fulfil orders, with no obvious sign of when they will be able to re-open.
However, owner of RHS Design, Roger Smith, has vowed to continue with the business, saying staff are working hard to get the warehouse open again.
He said: “Everything was ruined. Every single thing was smoke damaged.
“It was devastating. There wasn’t anything we could really salvage.
“My main concern is to get up and running again. We are in the process of putting (the business) back together.
“We are still getting orders but we can’t fulfil them at the moment. We’ve just been clearing the site. It’s been difficult.”
A police spokesman said that no arrests have been made in connection with the arson, but that the investigation was continuing to find the culprit.
He said the offender forced entry to the warehouse, moved a gas canister into the centre of the workshop, switched it on and then set fire to a machine containing sawdust.
Two fire crews from Barrow attended the scene on the day, using house reel jets to put out the blaze.
RHS Design specialise in handmade furniture and make items such as beds and tables.
Mr Smith added: “We built the business up over 15 years and someone has just burnt it down in 10 minutes.”
Police are asking anyone with information to ring 101 and to talk to DC Jack Montague.
First published at 15:31, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together