Police chief faces briefing on Cumbria death crash figures
Last updated at 15:58, Friday, 30 May 2014
ROAD safety is at the top of the agenda for Cumbria’s top cops after figures revealed the county has the highest rate of teenage drivers involved in accidents.
Members of Cumbria’s police and crime commissioner’s executive panel will meet on Wednesday and road safety in the county is at the top of the agenda.
Earlier this week it was revealed almost 16 per cent of casualties hurt or killed in collisions in Cumbria involve drivers aged between 17 and 19. Police will brief Richard Rhodes, police and crime commissioner, on the latest statistics which already include five motorcycle fatalities in 2014.
In 2013 there were 226 crashes across the county where people were killed or seriously injured, including 27 fatalities.
This is up from 196, with 30 fatalities in 2012, and 249 with 30 fatalities in 2011. The report said: “By May 2014 that total motorcycle fatal figure had already reached five, suggesting that we could expect higher KSI figures by the end of the year.
“It is unknown if this trend is local or national at this stage, but anecdotal information at this stage does suggest KSIs are increasing nationally.”
Last year, as part of ongoing road policing operations, police seized 527 vehicles used illegally on the roads, dealt with 37,556 speeding offences and 762 seatbelt offences on the county’s roads.
Chief Inspector Matt Kennerley, who wrote the report, said: “Cumbria Constabulary has contributed to the significant reduction of those killed and seriously injured on the county’s roads.
“Road safety remains a policing priority, not just within specialist departments, but throughout every area of policing.”
The meeting takes place at Cumbria police HQ, Carleton Hall, Penrith, on Wednesday from 10am.
First published at 15:55, Friday, 30 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|