Poetry competition launched to mark Millom poet's centenary
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 31 January 2014
A POETRY and photography competition has been launched to mark the centenary of the birth of Millom’s most famous son.
West Cumbria Tourism has launched the competition to mark the centenary of Norman Nicholson’s birth.
The competition is supported by the Pennington Hotel and Faber & Faber, with a winning prize of a meal for two at the Estuary Restaurant in Ravenglass and 3 runners-up prizes of copies of both ‘Collected Poems by Norman Nicholson’ and ‘Wednesday Early Closing’ his autobiography.
Born on January 8, 1914 at 14 St George's Terrace in Millom, West Cumbria, a traditional Victorian terraced house and shop where Nicholson would live for 71 of his 73 years. The only period spent away from Millom was from age 16 to 18 when he contracted tuberculosis and was sent to recuperate at a sanatorium in Hampshire.
The Western Lake District is looking for entries that fulfill the following criteria:
- Have you written a poem that has been inspired by the Western Lake District landscape?
- Do you have a photograph that captures the industrial heritage of the coastal towns on the Western Lake District coast?
- Or do you have any photographs that capture an element of any of Norman Nicholson’s poems?
Budding poets and photographers are encouraged to find out more by visit the Norman Nicholson page on the Western Lake District website http://www.western-lakedistrict.co.uk/norman-nicholson
First published at 11:29, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Second day of Ulverston supermarket legal hearing underway (14 comments)
- Drunken man’s rescue in Barrow cost emergency services £18k
- Holker Street bar name vote options revealed (9 comments)
- Barrow family’s joy as boy back home after five-month hospital stay
- Casson apologises for Barrow AFC cup exit (4 comments)
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|