Petition demands tougher jail term for ‘scum’ Barrow puppy beater
Published at 13:35, Sunday, 09 March 2014
A PETITION has been launched calling for the jail term given to a dog beater to be extended.
More than 2,000 people from across Furness and the UK have signed up to demand that Liam Backhouse’s 80-day sentence be increased.
Comments on the website, set up by Melissa Benson from Barrow, range from “Disgrace. A sentence needs to be handed that matches the crime” and “the judicial system in this country is a farce” to “he should be banned for life from keeping animals” and “this scumbag has got away very lightly.”
The majority of people who have signed up are local but people from Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield have also expressed their disgust.
Furness Magistrates’ Court heard on Tuesday how 23-year-old Backhouse threw and kicked a puppy around the garden of his home in Rising Side, Barrow.
He admitted causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.
District judge Mr Gerald Chalk jailed Backhouse for 80 days, banned him from owning pets for seven years and ordered that the Staffordshire bull terrier, and a snake owned by Backhouse, be seized.
Following the attack, which lasted almost an hour, the puppy – originally named Titan but now called Dudley – was left badly shaken and bruised.
The court was shown a harrowing video, captured by Backhouse’s neighbour on November 19, that showed Backhouse throwing the puppy around the garden of his home, trapping its head in the back door and repeatedly kicking it.
Miss Karen Templeton, defending, told the court Backhouse had been depressed and had a low tolerance and that after spending the morning playing with the puppy it defecated on the carpet.
Backhouse then stepped in the muck which prompted him to attack the dog.
After treatment, Dudley has made a rapid recovery and is set to be adopted by RSPCA inspector Chris Towling who works in north Cumbria.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|