Pair tell of joy at winning Evening Mail Prom King and Queen Competition
Last updated at 10:06, Thursday, 26 July 2012
MEET our king and queen of the prom.
The Evening Mail’s Prom King and Queen Competition has come to an end and we are pleased to announce our lucky winners.
Congratulations go to Robbie Gaffney, of St Bernard’s High School, Barrow, and Melissa Lacey, of Dowdales School, Dalton, for being crowned our prom royalty.
Robbie, 16, arrived in style at St Bernard’s prom, held at Abbey House Hotel, Barrow, as he pulled up in a new Bentley with his best friend and prom date, Kelsey Bak.
Born and brought up in Barrow, Robbie is a past student of Victoria Junior School, Barrow, before moving on to St Bernard’s High School to do his GCSEs.
Robbie works alongside his father, Andy Gaffney, at Fry’s Confectioners, in the Market Hall, Barrow.
He said: “It means the absolute world to be crowned prom king.
“I've had a tough couple of years but things really seem to be turning round for me and winning prom king is just amazing. I just want to make people aware of all the work I do for the local community and also charities.
“I want to say a huge thank you to my mum, Joanne, and my dad, Andy, for everything, also a huge thank you to my best friend and prom date, Kelsey, and her family, as well as everyone that voted for me.”
Prom queen Melissa Lacey, 16, stood out at Dowdales prom, held at Netherwood Hotel, Grange, with her glamorous dress.
Askam girl Melissa is a past pupil of Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School, Dalton. She moved with her family to York for a time before returning to the area and ending her school days at Dowdales.
Melissa has a part-time job working at Abbey House Hotel and is hoping to study a diploma in childcare at Furness College next year.
“Being prom queen means a lot to me because it was an expensive day for my family and this is the best thank you to my mum. I would like to say thank you to my mum, Nicola, and step-dad, Andy for everything.” said Melissa.
First published at 16:19, Wednesday, 25 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Robbie - you so deserve this, and I hope many more good things come your way X
P.S. You were SUPERB as Ryan in HSM :)
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid