Pair tell of joy at winning Evening Mail Prom King and Queen Competition
Last updated at 10:06, Thursday, 26 July 2012
MEET our king and queen of the prom.
The Evening Mail’s Prom King and Queen Competition has come to an end and we are pleased to announce our lucky winners.
Congratulations go to Robbie Gaffney, of St Bernard’s High School, Barrow, and Melissa Lacey, of Dowdales School, Dalton, for being crowned our prom royalty.
Robbie, 16, arrived in style at St Bernard’s prom, held at Abbey House Hotel, Barrow, as he pulled up in a new Bentley with his best friend and prom date, Kelsey Bak.
Born and brought up in Barrow, Robbie is a past student of Victoria Junior School, Barrow, before moving on to St Bernard’s High School to do his GCSEs.
Robbie works alongside his father, Andy Gaffney, at Fry’s Confectioners, in the Market Hall, Barrow.
He said: “It means the absolute world to be crowned prom king.
“I've had a tough couple of years but things really seem to be turning round for me and winning prom king is just amazing. I just want to make people aware of all the work I do for the local community and also charities.
“I want to say a huge thank you to my mum, Joanne, and my dad, Andy, for everything, also a huge thank you to my best friend and prom date, Kelsey, and her family, as well as everyone that voted for me.”
Prom queen Melissa Lacey, 16, stood out at Dowdales prom, held at Netherwood Hotel, Grange, with her glamorous dress.
Askam girl Melissa is a past pupil of Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School, Dalton. She moved with her family to York for a time before returning to the area and ending her school days at Dowdales.
Melissa has a part-time job working at Abbey House Hotel and is hoping to study a diploma in childcare at Furness College next year.
“Being prom queen means a lot to me because it was an expensive day for my family and this is the best thank you to my mum. I would like to say thank you to my mum, Nicola, and step-dad, Andy for everything.” said Melissa.
First published at 16:19, Wednesday, 25 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Robbie - you so deserve this, and I hope many more good things come your way X
P.S. You were SUPERB as Ryan in HSM :)
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course