Outbreak of Bovine TB confirmed in Cumbria
Last updated at 14:37, Tuesday, 29 July 2014
AN outbreak of Bovine TB has been confirmed in Cumbria.
The case has been identified in the Brampton area in the north of the county.
An AHVLA spokesperson said: “Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) is currently investigating a bovine TB incident at a cattle holding in the north of Cumbria.
“The herd has been placed under movement restrictions and TB testing of neighbouring holdings within a three kilometre radius will take place shortly.
Each year there are a small number of bovine TB incidents in Cumbria. The county remains a low risk area for bovine TB.
“Bovine TB can have a devastating effect on farm businesses, which is why there are strict measures to control it.”
In January 2013 an extended TB surveillance (‘radial testing’) policy was introduced for all cattle holdings falling within, or straddling, a 3km radius circle from a TB breakdown in the low risk area of England.
This radial testing is primarily to check for lateral secondary spread of TB from the breakdown, but also to help identify any undetected source of infection in the locality.
Cumbria is a low risk area for bovine TB.
The low risk area covers large parts of the north and east of England. It has a low incidence of bTB and no recognised significant reservoir of the disease in wildlife.
First published at 14:36, Tuesday, 29 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
- What are the ISA rules when it comes to how much I can put in?
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|