Organisers aim to build on carnival success
Last updated at 17:33, Thursday, 22 November 2012
CARNIVAL organisers are aiming to build on the success of last year’s Millom event – the first for almost 20 years.
Despite damp conditions, the Millom community turned out in force for June’s carnival.
And the organising committee is hoping a change of date and increasing the number of outdoor activities will help to make next year’s event even better supported.
A host of marquees will fill Millom Rugby League Club’s back pitch on July 13, accommodating live bands, carnival games and activities.
Events co-ordinator, Judith Tyson, said: “By changing the date we’re hoping to get some better weather.
“On the weekend of the carnival we had some terrible weather, but on the date we would have had, in July, it was beautiful.
“We’re hoping to provide something for everyone this year and that everyone is able to move around freely outside.”
After so long without a carnival, Mrs Tyson said the organisers were encouraged by the community turn out and how much it meant to the town.
She said: “When the parade moved down King Street there was a little old lady looking out of her window and waving at us, with tears streaming down her face.
“We’re hoping to build on it year-on-year and make this year’s more varied and accessible.”
Committee secretary, Karen Jackson-Smith, said: “A lot of people thought the carnival wouldn’t return, because bringing it back had been talked about before without anything happening.
“There was a buzz after the event and everyone was already talking about next year’s carnival.
“The parade was outstanding. The attention to detail that people had used was great.”
As well as going back to a more traditional date, the organisers are hoping for a return of another Millom carnival ever-present – the tug of war.
More vintage agricultural machinery has also been promised, as well as a move away from the traditional dance competition. Organisers say local dance troupes will be invited to showcase their routines in a non-competitive environment.
The nine-strong carnival committee will next meet on December 12, at Millom Rugby League Club, to discuss next year’s event.
All welcome to attend.
First published at 16:21, Thursday, 22 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|