Nuclear plant boss up for national women’s award
Last updated at 16:23, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A SELLAFIELD boss has been shortlisted for a top award.
Executive director Dawn James is up for an award which aims to celebrate women’s success.
The First Women Awards recognise women from sectors including engineering, science and technology, and media. Founded in 2005 by Real Business and the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the awards celebrate women who are laying the foundations for the next generation of female talent.
Having started as an apprentice, Dawn James has reached the top of the male-dominated nuclear industry by her early 40s. She was appointed Nuclear Management Partnership (NMP) Executive Director, Engineering for Sellafield Ltd in 2011.
She said: “I am very pleased to have been nominated for the First Women awards and it is a great honour to have been shortlisted for this prestigious award.
“I am encouraged to see more women are finding their way into engineering.”
The shortlist for this year’s awards include inspirational 19-year-old Shauni O’Neill, apprentice ambassador and station supervisor for London Underground, who is in the running for the Public Service award. Also in consideration for a First Women Award are Kim Mears, who is leading the development of the £2.5bn UK super-fast fibre-optic network; and Suzanne Flynn, the RAF’s first engineering officer.
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on June 28, 2012 at the Grand Connaught Rooms, London, hosted by BBC presenter Clare Balding.
First published at 13:51, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together