Nuclear plant boss up for national women’s award
Last updated at 16:23, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A SELLAFIELD boss has been shortlisted for a top award.
Executive director Dawn James is up for an award which aims to celebrate women’s success.
The First Women Awards recognise women from sectors including engineering, science and technology, and media. Founded in 2005 by Real Business and the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the awards celebrate women who are laying the foundations for the next generation of female talent.
Having started as an apprentice, Dawn James has reached the top of the male-dominated nuclear industry by her early 40s. She was appointed Nuclear Management Partnership (NMP) Executive Director, Engineering for Sellafield Ltd in 2011.
She said: “I am very pleased to have been nominated for the First Women awards and it is a great honour to have been shortlisted for this prestigious award.
“I am encouraged to see more women are finding their way into engineering.”
The shortlist for this year’s awards include inspirational 19-year-old Shauni O’Neill, apprentice ambassador and station supervisor for London Underground, who is in the running for the Public Service award. Also in consideration for a First Women Award are Kim Mears, who is leading the development of the £2.5bn UK super-fast fibre-optic network; and Suzanne Flynn, the RAF’s first engineering officer.
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on June 28, 2012 at the Grand Connaught Rooms, London, hosted by BBC presenter Clare Balding.
First published at 13:51, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|