Nuclear plant boss up for national women’s award
Last updated at 16:23, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A SELLAFIELD boss has been shortlisted for a top award.
Executive director Dawn James is up for an award which aims to celebrate women’s success.
The First Women Awards recognise women from sectors including engineering, science and technology, and media. Founded in 2005 by Real Business and the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the awards celebrate women who are laying the foundations for the next generation of female talent.
Having started as an apprentice, Dawn James has reached the top of the male-dominated nuclear industry by her early 40s. She was appointed Nuclear Management Partnership (NMP) Executive Director, Engineering for Sellafield Ltd in 2011.
She said: “I am very pleased to have been nominated for the First Women awards and it is a great honour to have been shortlisted for this prestigious award.
“I am encouraged to see more women are finding their way into engineering.”
The shortlist for this year’s awards include inspirational 19-year-old Shauni O’Neill, apprentice ambassador and station supervisor for London Underground, who is in the running for the Public Service award. Also in consideration for a First Women Award are Kim Mears, who is leading the development of the £2.5bn UK super-fast fibre-optic network; and Suzanne Flynn, the RAF’s first engineering officer.
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on June 28, 2012 at the Grand Connaught Rooms, London, hosted by BBC presenter Clare Balding.
First published at 13:51, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|