No charges for spot fixing arrest football player from Barrow
Last updated at 17:25, Monday, 28 July 2014
A TEENAGE professional footballer from Barrow who was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of spot fixing will not face any charges.
Preston North End star Ben Davies, 18, was arrested in April as part of an investigation by the National Crime Agency.
Davies, who was on loan at York City at the time, was questioned along with five of his Preston team-mates.
All six were due to answer police bail on Wednesday, but officers contacted the League One club to say the players were released from bail and were no longer under any arrest procedure.
All the players involved denied any involvement in spot fixing from the outset and will not face any charges.
Spot fixing refers to players agreeing to deliberately influence events within a match in order to fix betting outcomes.
A spokesman for Preston North End said on Friday: “In April of this year a number of our players were very publicly arrested in connection with a wider investigation into ‘spot fixing’ in football. At the time, they were bailed with a date for answering bail subsequently set for Wednesday July 30, 2014.
“We have today been informed that all of our players have been released from bail and are no longer under any form of formal arrest procedure.”
Davies, formerly of Cloisters Avenue, Barrow, made his professional debut for Preston in January 2013.
He has returned to his parent club after his loan spell at York and recently appeared in a pre-season game against Liverpool.
The former Roose Primary and Furness Academy pupil spent five years with the Lancashire side’s youth team after being spotted while playing for Furness Rovers as an 11-year-old.
First published at 17:01, Monday, 28 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Tourism guide with South Cumbria attractions released (1 comment)
- UPDATE: Body found in search for missing windsurfer (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|