Nine are prepared to work their magic on the crowds
Published at 11:37, Wednesday, 13 May 2009
NINE magicians are battling it to be top dog in a contest in Barrow tonight.
By Jon Simpson
The North Western Society of Magicians, which mainly covers the Cumbria area, is holding a Close Up Magic competition at the Lisdoonie Hotel.
Magicians have to perform while 30 people stand closely around them in a horseshoe formation to observe their actions.
They have to perform the same trick three times in the horseshoe satisfactorily without giving the trick away, according to the society.
They are judged by two member magicians and a member of the public to see who is best.
One of the contestants is Furness amateur magician, company boss Mark Wilding, 41 of Ulverston.
Mr Wilding who co-owns the Lumier hi-tech lighting firm in Barrow, will be performing close up magic tricks with cards and will also attempt to levitate a borrowed ring.
He said: “I have always been interested in magic since I was a child.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|