Nine incidents during Cumbria firefighter strike
Last updated at 12:01, Friday, 13 June 2014
Cumbria Fire and Rescue responded to nine incidents during a 24-hour strike
The Fire Brigades’ Union (FBU) called a national walkout between 9am on Thursday and 9am today due to an ongoing dispute with the Government over pensions.
However, Cumbria County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service’s contingency plans ensured an emergency response was available throughout the strike.
Incidents included Backbarrow (automatic fire alarm), Carlisle’s Kingmoor Park (smoke from a burnt out light fitting), Bootle (horse stuck in a trench), Silverdale (grass fire at a caravan park), Carlisle’s Cross Street (car fire), Flimby (automatic fire alarm), Skelwith (vehicle fire at a caravan park), Barrow’s Tay Court (smoke alarm activated) and a car fire on the M6 between junctions 40 and 41.
About 137 of Cumbria’s 600 operational firefighters took part in the industrial action and 31 out of 46 fire engines were available around the county during the strike.
The FBU has called another strike between 10am and 5pm next Saturday.
Cumbria’s chief fire officer Ian Cartwright said: “Due to our contingency plans we were able to provide an emergency response when required.
“Again I’d call on the people of Cumbria to help us out during the next wave of industrial action next weekend by minimising their risks of fire and road traffic collisions and avoiding making unnecessary 999 calls.”
First published at 12:00, Friday, 13 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Supporters uphold Lancashire tradition (61 comments)
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|