New Ulverston barbers offers close shave with all trimmings
Published at 16:13, Wednesday, 10 July 2013
MEN are being offered the full barber shop experience at a brand new business.
Jacqui Pickavance, 37, has opened Adonis Traditional Barbers in Ulverston after working in Kutz in Crellin Street, Barrow, for 14 years.
The mother-of-one’s first business venture is offering haircuts and wet shaves at the Grade II listed premises in Daltongate.
She said: “I was ready to move on. Plus I wanted to do the wet shaves, so I went and trained because I wanted to do it this way.
“I’d always wanted to start my own business and my son Zane has left school now, so the time was just right for me.
“He is my Saturday boy – I’ve got him running round doing odd jobs and making cups of coffee and he wants to learn how to do the wet shaves as well.”
Miss Pickavance, who trained at Kendal College, works at the barbers with Carla Southall, Lydia Wealleans and Becky Shaw.
Keeping it Cumbrian, they use a range of male shaving and aftershave products handmade in Sedbergh.
In contrast to the more traditional women’s pre-wedding hair and beauty makeover, Adonis is offering men’s wedding day packages where grooms can hire the salon for a few hours to enjoy a wet shave, haircut, breakfast bun, a beer and even bring their own photographer.
The shop sign was created by Walney-based signwriter Ian Whiteoak, who has done many of the vintage signs above shops in Ulverston and the Cooke’s Building in Abbey Road, Barrow.
The historic nature of the building, coupled with features such as a classic barber pole and Chesterfield suite for customers to sit on, allowed Miss Pickavance to achieve the look she was aiming for.
“The style of the shop just fitted the style of the salon that I wanted,” said Miss Pickavance, of Newbarns, Barrow.
She added: “It’s Grade II listed and it’s got an absolutely beautiful staircase in it. Everything about the overall look fits what I want.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|