New Barrow born head chef at top Cumbria restaurant
Last updated at 17:10, Tuesday, 07 January 2014
STAR restaurateur Simon Rogan has appointed a Barrow-born cooking talent as his new head chef.
Kevin Tickle, 30, has been promoted to the role at Rogan and Company in Cartmel, after working with Mr Rogan for about nine years.
Mr Tickle, a former Ulverston Victoria High School pupil and Kirkby resident, said he was thrilled with his new role.
“It’s great to have been given this opportunity,” he said.
Mr Tickle, who now lives in Kendal, had been working as a chef in Mr Rogan’s two Michelin-starred restaurant L’Enclume, also in Cartmel, prior to taking over at Rogan and Company. He added: “I’ll be in charge of the day-to-day running, making decisions on menus, prices and training staff.”
Mr Tickle’s late winter menu will be ready in two weeks.
He said: “I have got lots of ideas about what I want to do and will be working with Simon and using his experience and knowledge to come up with something great.
“I was not expecting it so soon. It’s my chance to get my name out there a bit.
“I’m excited but it’s a massive amount of pressure so I’m a bit nervous about it.
“I really like working with fish. It’s more of a challenge to get the timing right.
“My least favourite is working with pastry. I’m more of a savoury chef really.
“My tips for people who enjoy cooking are don’t burn it and always use the best produce you can at a price you can afford.”
Mr Rogan, who runs a number of restaurants across the UK and who is set to replace Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s Hotel in London this year, said: “Kev has worked for me for quite some time now.
“I just felt the direction we wanted to go and the timing was right for me and for him. I think he deserves to have a shot at doing his own thing.
“It takes quite a lot of trust and to know someone quite well – and Kevin has been a really consistent, dedicated and reliable person.
“He has always had the good of the company at heart and has always given me dedication.
“Kevin is an employee every company should have.”
Mr Rogan recently opened a restaurant in the Midland Hotel in Manchester, and L’Enclume was named as the UK’s best restaurant in the 2014 Good Food Guide.
First published at 16:46, Tuesday, 07 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|