New charges for property developers will be Cumbria first
Last updated at 09:48, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
RESIDENTS in South Lakeland will be first in Cumbria to benefit from a new scheme that will force property developers to contribute funds to the local community.
The Community Infrastructure Levy, which comes into effect tomorrow, will see all new builds in the SLDC area subject to additional charges.
Under the new rules, developers will have to pay £60 per square meter of new housing and £150 per square meter for supermarkets and warehouses.
SLDC is the first county in Cumbria to adopt the scheme.
Of the amount collected, 15% will be given to the local parish or town council.
This figure will increase to 25% if the parish has a neighbourhood plan.
With the levy in place, property developers looking to build new houses in Ulverston would help fund extra school places and improvements to the town's public spaces.
First published at 09:44, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|