New Barrow born head chef at top Cumbria restaurant
Last updated at 17:10, Tuesday, 07 January 2014
STAR restaurateur Simon Rogan has appointed a Barrow-born cooking talent as his new head chef.
Kevin Tickle, 30, has been promoted to the role at Rogan and Company in Cartmel, after working with Mr Rogan for about nine years.
Mr Tickle, a former Ulverston Victoria High School pupil and Kirkby resident, said he was thrilled with his new role.
“It’s great to have been given this opportunity,” he said.
Mr Tickle, who now lives in Kendal, had been working as a chef in Mr Rogan’s two Michelin-starred restaurant L’Enclume, also in Cartmel, prior to taking over at Rogan and Company. He added: “I’ll be in charge of the day-to-day running, making decisions on menus, prices and training staff.”
Mr Tickle’s late winter menu will be ready in two weeks.
He said: “I have got lots of ideas about what I want to do and will be working with Simon and using his experience and knowledge to come up with something great.
“I was not expecting it so soon. It’s my chance to get my name out there a bit.
“I’m excited but it’s a massive amount of pressure so I’m a bit nervous about it.
“I really like working with fish. It’s more of a challenge to get the timing right.
“My least favourite is working with pastry. I’m more of a savoury chef really.
“My tips for people who enjoy cooking are don’t burn it and always use the best produce you can at a price you can afford.”
Mr Rogan, who runs a number of restaurants across the UK and who is set to replace Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s Hotel in London this year, said: “Kev has worked for me for quite some time now.
“I just felt the direction we wanted to go and the timing was right for me and for him. I think he deserves to have a shot at doing his own thing.
“It takes quite a lot of trust and to know someone quite well – and Kevin has been a really consistent, dedicated and reliable person.
“He has always had the good of the company at heart and has always given me dedication.
“Kevin is an employee every company should have.”
Mr Rogan recently opened a restaurant in the Midland Hotel in Manchester, and L’Enclume was named as the UK’s best restaurant in the 2014 Good Food Guide.
First published at 16:46, Tuesday, 07 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|