X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 31 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Mystery surrounds future of Barrow site as demolition work begins

DEMOLITION of a former Barrow town centre pub is under way but there is still no indication of what will happen to the site.

50059108B001
COMING DOWN Demolition work getting under way at the former Yates’s Wine Bar in Duke Street in Barrow LINDSEY DICKINGS REF: 50059108B001

Yates’s in Barrow shut when the building was found to be structurally unsafe at the end of March last year.

Stonegate Pubs, which owns the pub chain, applied to Barrow Borough Council last summer to demolish the Duke Street building.

The application was granted in September and demolition was due to start at the beginning of November and scheduled to finish by December 16.

But is understood the work was delayed until the new year following concerns from traders who claimed it could impact on their Christmas trade.

However, work to pull down the building has now started and is scheduled to last around two months.

A spokesman for the demolition firm carrying out the work, Preston-based Pete Marquis Contractors & Plant Hire, said the work would take around eight weeks.

There had been concerns the demolition would entail a closure of Duke Street and therefore disrupt buses and general traffic.

But the spokesman confirmed no road closure would be necessary.

The company which handles media queries for Yates’s has never shed any light on what might go on the site once it is vacant, or whether Yates’s will seek to open another bar in Barrow. When approached for an update on the situation, a spokeswoman for Yates’s said there was still no comment to be made.

Rumours had been circulating that Yates’s was aiming to move into the former Natwest bank on Ramsden Square, Barrow, which has been sold subject to contract.

But it is understood that the business moving into the premises is not Yates’s.

The demolition statement originally submitted to the council by Stockport-based Core Design, on behalf of Yates’s, said: “An assessment by the client, in full dialogue with the local authority planning and conservation team officers, will be made regarding all possibilities for future redevelopment.”

Have your say

Another gravel storage yard like the rest of the demolished streets or matchbox houses.

Posted by Bazman on 10 February 2014 at 09:05

No doubt it will be the site of another pound shop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by flem on 8 February 2014 at 20:49

View all 5 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Should more affordable housing be built to help young people get onto the property ladder?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 33

Going digital

Homes and gardens

Ulverston Carnival


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out