Mystery of beheaded hens in Millom ‘boy racers’ row
Last updated at 16:23, Monday, 04 November 2013
ELDERLY Millom residents are living in terror of reprisals from “boy racers” who are making their lives a misery.
One resident, who wished to remain anonymous, has even reported having chickens decapitated after speaking out on the issue.
Another woman, who also did not wish to be named, says she had to move house twice due to the noise created by souped-up vehicles racing around Millom and Haverigg.
Speaking at a Millom Town Council meeting, another woman described how the drivers “race around the square” creating noise and intimidation for residents.
She told shocked councillors: “It’s had an awful effect on my life and it is affecting people in Millom and Haverigg.
“It has got so bad that people in Millom and Haverigg are too scared to ring the police.
“We have been out to speak to them and they are not all bad lads but a lot of older people are very intimidated and they don’t seem to listen.”
The woman said she had been out to speak to the racers and was shocked to discover one man aged in his 50s.
“He was old enough to know better,” she said.
The woman urged councillors to throw their weight behind efforts to tackle the problem.
Councillor Jack Park said: “We did discuss this at the last council meeting and really it’s a matter for the police. They are the people who can sort it out.”
Councillor Ray Cole said: “If you are not getting the service you need from the police I would urge you to write to the police and crime commissioner’s office. That is what he is there for.”
Speaking after the meeting, Councillor Denise Burness expressed her frustration.
She said: “After the meeting myself and one of the residents who contacted me spent an hour watching them at the square.
“The noise is extremely loud because of these big exhausts they have fitted.
“As far as I’m concerned we have got inadequate policing in Millom and the lads here seem to be as open as they like.
“I would urge people to ring the police anonymously on 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. We need to get popular support behind this issue.”
Millom PCSO Paul Booth urged residents to report “boy racers” to the police as soon as an incident occurs.
First published at 16:03, Monday, 04 November 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
If Councillor Denise Burness witnessed these "boy" racers for an hour making a racket, why did she not ring the police anonymously as she urges others to do, and if she did, why did the police not respond? Just a thought.
Make your comment
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Building work at Barrow care home set to restart
- Driver who crashed in Walney sought by police
- Updated: Football fan comes forward to speak to police about Barrow AFC assault claim
- Man, 65, suffers serious injuries in 40m Lake District fall
- Cat charge admitted by Barrow woman
- Water supply cut off in Ulverston
- Cumbria man reunites with Korean Zen master
- Former Barrow children’s doctor accused of failings defends his treatment
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- Barrow AFC boss drops Taylor deal hint
- Barrow Raiders boss holds injury concern
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)