Murderer jailed for at least 27 years
Last updated at 14:56, Tuesday, 03 July 2012
A MURDERER who doused a woman in white spirit and set fire to her after she cut off contact with him has been sent to prison for a minimum of 27 years.
In a trial that began last Wednesday, Terrence Armer denied murdering Stacey Mackie, 35, formerly of Haverigg.
Yesterday the jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict after two hours of deliberation.
Crown prosecutor Mr Timothy Storrie told the jury how Armer, 61, went to Miss Mackie’s flat, doused her in white spirit and then set her alight.
The court heard Armer, of Buttery Well Road, Kendal, and Miss Mackie met in a hospital where they were both being treated for mental health issues in January 2011. They became friends but the friendship ended and Miss Mackie refused to return his calls and text messages.
Mr Storrie told Carlisle Crown Court this triggered the anger which led Armer to murder her on January 27.
The jury’s verdict rejected the defence case that Miss Mackie set fire to herself while Armer was paying her a visit.
Sentencing Armer to life with a minimum term of 27 years, Mr Justice Stephen Irwin said there was “overwhelming evidence” he had murdered vulnerable Miss Mackie.
The judge said: “It’s perfectly clear you decided you had rights over her. It’s very likely that you wanted more than friendship, but whatever about that you were certainly not prepared for her to end contact with you and you insisted in pursuing her.
“You chose the dreadful method of burning her to death causing great suffering and a real and present fear of death.”
Miss Mackie’s family had been forced to sit through the harrowing details of the trial, the judge said. He commended the family for their dignity as well as praising the police and fire service for their efforts to help Miss Mackie.
The judge especially praised Kendal PC Jane Colyer, who comforted Miss Mackie after the attack, and PC Rob Kerr, who assisted at the scene.
First published at 13:15, Thursday, 21 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|