Multi-million pound Morecambe Bay project decision due
Last updated at 17:20, Friday, 08 February 2013
A MULTI-MILLION pound project which aims to transform Morecambe Bay hinges on a grant application due to be decided on next week.
On Monday the Morecambe Bay Partnership will discover if it has been awarded £520,000 from the Coastal Communities Fund to unlock £2m already put aside for the Headlands to Headspace project by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
A 200km cycleway around the edge of the bay, and wildlife and archaeological projects are all included in the scheme.
Speaking at a lecture at Lancaster University, Susannah Bleakley from the Morecambe Bay Partnership, said: “I feel Morecambe Bay as a place is hugely important but I feel it is often overlooked and under valued. It gives us these enormous views because the bay is so big.”
The Coastal Communities Fund is a pot of cash generated by the Crown Estate’s income from offshore windfarms.
It is hoped the Morecambe Bay project will attract international tourism to Walney’s military heritage, which includes Fort Walney, practice trenches, a concrete coastal searchlight emplacement and a rifle range.
The cash could be used to buy a fleet of six all-terrain vehicles which disabled people could hire to explore the island. Cultural heritage ideas include an “adopt a monument” project for the prehistoric Birkrigg stone circle, near Ulverston, which has had problems with erosion and brambles.
Mrs Bleakley said: “It is a site which is ripe for local people to take a larger role in management.”
There would also be the opportunity for small archaeological digs using geophysics technology. Work on the scheme is set to start at the end of this year with the help of up to five staff members.
A free discovery day for the public will be held at Ulverston’s Coronation Hall on February 23 from 1pm to 4pm. See www.morecambebay.org.uk for more details.
First published at 16:32, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|