MP gets behind appeal to find 10,000 blood donors
Published at 16:15, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
A CUMBRIAN MP has added his support to an urgent appeal for blood donors.
Westmorland and Lonsdale MP Tim Farron is backing the NHS Blood and Transport (NHSBT) service’s campaign to find 10,000 new blood donors in Cumbria and across the North West in 100 days.
The campaign, launched this week, will aim to help overcome shortfalls in blood stocks following a drop in donations in 2012.
The NHSBT needs 225,000 new blood donors each year to make up for existing individuals who drop out of the system.
There is a particular need for young blood donors in the 17 to 24 age group, in which there has been a steady decline in the number of people signing up of 20 per cent over the past 10 years.
Mr Farron has taken the campaign to get more people to give blood to Westminster by tabling an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons. calling on MPs and councils across the North West to encourage their constituents to sign up to the campaign and give blood.
He said: “A blood transfusion can be the difference between someone living or dying during emergency surgery, but it can also make the difference in helping treat long-term illnesses like cancer or support maternity care.
“That is why it is so important that as many people as possible sign up and give blood as soon as possible.
“With the decline in the number of people signing up there is a risk that the hospitals could suffer real shortfalls in blood stocks, so this is an absolutely vital campaign and I will be doing everything I can to help raise the profile of the campaign and encourage new donors to sign up.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|