Police appeal for witnesses to Cumbria smash where a car to burst into flames
Last updated at 10:22, Sunday, 20 April 2014
Police appeal for witnesses to Cumbria smash where a car to burst into flames.
The collision occurred on the main A66 road, near to Threlkeld at 9:24am yesterday.
A Mercedes estate did set on fire, but all the occupants were pulled free by members of the public.Police say it was their quick reaction that ensured those involved were taken to safety prior to car igniting.
The occupants of the Mercedes are from the Southampton area. The driver, a man aged 43, was been take to Royal Victoria Hospital, Newcastle by air ambulance with serious, potentially life threatening injuries.
The front seat passenger, a woman, aged 43, has also been taken to the same hospital by air with serious but not life threatening injuries.
Three children, all in their teens were also in the car, were pulled to safety. Two were taken to Carlisle Infirmary with minor injuries. One has been taken by air ambulance to Newcastle in a more serious condition but not life threatening.
The other vehicle, a Ford Range pickup, was driver by a woman, aged 61, from Sheffield. She was taken to Carlisle Infirmary with minor injuries.
The road was closed for a number of hours
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact the Operational Support Unit at Cumbria Police on 101, quoting log 79 of April 19 2014.
First published at 11:51, Saturday, 19 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Cumbrian police officer killed in road collision (2 comments)
- Secret death of baby girl - father questioned
- Ex-GB star returns to Haven ranks
- I sat at someone’s door to get a job
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- Event to serve up treat to businesses
- Boys hold charity walk in memory of Rylan
- Furness gymnasts spring into action - picture special
- Beach picnic is too much fun
- South Lakes rescue team hopes for radio mast at windfarm
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|