More than 700 Cumbria workers face threat of axe
Last updated at 16:55, Friday, 14 February 2014
MORE than 700 public sector jobs are to go in Cumbria as the county council attempts to save £80m over the next three years.
The move was approved by members of the authority at a key meeting in Kendal yesterday where Unison members gathered to lobby councillors over the issue.
The drastic reduction in roles was described as “appalling” by Unison Cumbria representative Debbie Hamilton.
She said: “It’s absolutely appalling. What we are seeing in Cumbria now is the effect of central government cuts.
“They have other choices over how they recoup money for the economy of Britain such as the huge and unnecessary bonuses given to staff within publicly-owned banks in this country.
“Instead, they are taking staff away from children’s services, adult services, from our roads here in Cumbria.
“This is just the start of three years’ worth of cuts being faced by this county.”
The latest drive to cut jobs at the county council echoes a similar sweep three years ago when the organisation was forced to slim its workforce by more than 700 posts.
But Labour councillor Mark Wilson claimed voluntary redundancies had filled the quota sought so far.
He said: “I don’t believe there will be considerable compulsory redundancies this time around. I think it will sort itself out.
“But eventually, this reduction will have an effect on services which is what we are beginning to see the effects of now.”
First published at 16:51, Friday, 14 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
why should i care if there all got the sack,it happened to me with carlisle city council and unison were usless,there didnt even attend my last 2 meetings.
Make your comment
- Woman due in court charged with defrauding charity set up by Ulverston teenager
- Police find missing Barrow man
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- See the action on TV
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue
- Drunk man threatens Barrow shop staff
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital beats infection-free record
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Magic Maj takes all 10 wickets for Ulverston CC
- Bushby buzzing after winning golf's Evening Mail Open
- McKinley's delight after his golden moment for Walney Cents
- Barrow CC attack destroy Netherfield
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia