More than 50 people will turn Barrow into race circuit
Published at 16:10, Tuesday, 13 May 2014
A HUGE amount of work will be put in to transform a large section of Barrow town centre into a cycle racing track.
Cumbria County Council staff will start the process, before handing over to the team from event organisers SweetSpot.
Council cycling officer Mark Brierley said: “The roads will be shut down starting at 7am and it will be a phased closing.
“As they are closed down, we will hand them over to the organisers of the event, who turn up with lorry-loads of kit, barrier off the roads and put in the hospitality and catering facilities and the PA system around the course.
“And then the TV company will come along and start putting cameras on corners, and all that infrastructure will go in around the circuit.
“We’re hoping the whole thing should be finished before 1.30pm.
“It will only take them the best part of six hours to do it – it’s quite a slick operation.
“Also, the street cleaners will be out at the crack of dawn to do a sweep of the circuit before we give it to the organisers to start locking it down.
“Overall, there will be upwards of 50 people, if not more, working on it.”
To ensure the cyclists have a smooth ride, Mr Brierley said the council has done a “sweep of the potholes”.
He added: “But the main thing we’ve done is change the kerb layout outside the town hall.
“Where the bus shelter is, they’ve extended the drop kerbs to accommodate all the cyclists and it is now about two metres wider.
“We’ve done something similar on the police station side of the square as well.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Horses and dogs shine at Ulverston show
- Barrow worker who hit colleague with hammer faces prison
- Ulverston toilet debate continues (2 comments)
- South Cumbria farmer’s shock after savaged lambs are found by daughters
- WITH VIDEO: Facebook friends rally round to give Barrow dog life-saving surgery (1 comment)
- Cumbria GP surgeries in line for £7m cash windfall
- Barrow hospital chef appeared on TV with celebrity chef James Martin (2 comments)
- Head of pioneering Barrow school to leave his post
- Barrow pharmacist is first to prescribe drugs without the doctor
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Barrow batsman Liam targets Lancashire bow after setting world record
- Cook scoops Barrow AFC awards haul
- Hawcoat Sayle to last-day win
- De La Salle sink Furness on final day
- Crewe derail Walney Terriers
- Butler nears Barrow Raiders return
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title (3 comments)
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Park designer’s son was killed in action
- Time to get back out to the garden
- Tracking down the pals of a Furness teenage soldier
- Military honours for unknown six
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
Visit our websites for...
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|