Momentum gathers for crunch meeting on Furness General Hospital
Last updated at 16:05, Wednesday, 06 March 2013
A CALL to arms has been issued and more than 25,000 leaflets delivered ahead of a meeting called to discuss the future of Furness General Hospital’s maternity services.
Health bosses will tomorrow face the public at an event hosted by organisers of the Thousand Voices campaign, which opposes any downgrading of Barrow’s birthing unit.
Jackie Daniel, chief executive of the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, which runs FGH, will be joined on the platform by GPs from the Cumbria and Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Groups, which are responsible for how healthcare funding should be spent by local hospitals.
The meeting will be chaired by Walney mum-of-two and campaign leader, Mandy Telford, supported by her husband, Barrow and Furness MP, John Woodcock.
Ms Telford said: “We are hoping for a good turnout at The Forum so the trust’s representatives can give straight answers to questions from members of the public who have genuine concerns about the future of our health services.”
Mr Woodcock said: “This is one of the most important public meetings to be held in Furness for many years.
“It is about defending vital health services and making sure we have the right level of maternity provision for this generation and the next.”
Those who want to attend the event, which starts at 6pm, are advised to arrive early, as the auditorium is limited to about 500 seats.
With thousands of leaflets publicising the meeting having been delivered to Furness households, an overspill area will be set up in The Forum foyer, with a video screen showing the events in the main hall.
Those who want to add their voices to the Thousand Voices campaign by recording a video, will be able to do so at the gathering.
Ms Telford said: “We are edging towards our 1,000 total. People are opposed to mums with complicated pregnancies being referred to Lancaster to give birth.”
First published at 15:55, Wednesday, 06 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|