Haverigg man faces child sex charges
Published at 16:50, Friday, 14 December 2012
A MAN has appeared in court charged with historic sexual offences against children.
Martin David Phillips appeared in Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with two offences of gross indecency under the Indecency with Children Act 1960, and one offence of indecent assault under the Sexual Offences Act 1956.
The offences of gross indecency relate to two girls, both aged under 14, while the assault relates to a female victim aged under 16.
The 41-year-old, a former boss of a saw mill in Millom, is alleged to have committed the offences in Bootle, between November 1986 and March 1990.
Phillips, who was represented in court by Mr Trystan Roberts and who gave his address as Mainstreet, Haverigg, did not enter a plea to the three offences.
He has been released on conditional bail and is due to appear before Preston Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on January 3.
Prosecutor Mrs Judith Knott said bail conditions prevent Phillips from having any access, contact or communication with any child under the age of 16.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together