Haverigg football competition success for juniors
Published at 10:17, Tuesday, 31 July 2012
HUNDREDS of young football players descended on Haverigg United’s Wilson Park ground for a feast of football.
The club’s annual six-a-side junior football tournament attracted teams and their families from as far afield as Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle – as well as South Cumbria – at the weekend.
More than 80 teams took part in the competition, which the club says was a great success.
Many of the participants opted to camp at the club for the weekend, enjoying a BBQ and disco.
Mark Whiteside, chairman of the club, said: “We started holding the tournament to try and raise money for the club, as well as giving the kids the chance to play football.
“It has got bigger and bigger since we started.
“It was a relatively small competition but now, with the opportunity to camp and stop over the weekend, it has become a bit of a break for the teams and their families.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Updated: Man's body found on Barrow beach
- Rescuers come to the aid of injured woman in Lake District
- Mountain rescue team attend to fell walker with head injury in Lakes
- Bottles of spirits stolen from Ulverston Food Festival stall
- UPDATE: Missing wild camper in Cumbria found safe and well
- Dog found on Cumbria mountain returns home
- Man, 66, dies after Cumbria crash
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- Capital result and good time for bonding
- Max Wiper desperate for Barrow Raiders return
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|