25 jobs face the axe at Cumbria tip sites
Last updated at 16:37, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
UP to 25 jobs could go as a result of restructuring work at the county’s recycling centres.
Cumbria County Council, which runs household waste recycling centres across the county, previously announced the
Millom centre would close, but in March this year it confirmed it would be saved but with reduced hours.
The centre will be opening one day between Monday and Friday and one day at weekends as the county council looks to save £1.5m.
County Council chiefs are yet to reveal when the hours will be reduced but it is understood to be early in the new year.
In Barrow the centre will open for five days a week, including weekends, while Ulverston will be reduced to opening four days a week, including weekends, and Millom, Ambleside and Grange will all open one weekday and one weekend day each week.
Councillors are concerned reduced hours could lead to an increase in fly-tipping in the area surrounding the centre.
Councillor Brian Crawford, deputy mayor of Millom, said: “At the moment people are used to being able to go when they want.
“If they go down and the gates are shut they often dump it and that is the risk unless it is well publicised.
“The whole area gets all sorts dumped there from tyres to furniture.”
Councillor Ray Cole, county councillor for Millom, added: “I fear for an increase in fly tipping. People have to get rid of their rubbish and if they get down to the tip and find it closed, are you they just going to throw it in the nearest field?
“It’s also extremely distressing for the loyal staff, who have given great service to the facility.”
A statement released by Cumbria County Council said: “The final date for implementation of the HWRC network changes is subject to detailed negotiations between the relevant parties, but is anticipated to be early in 2013.
“Likewise, the number of staff who may be affected by the changes will be subject to operational modelling of the HWRC
network, but it is anticipated that the changes could potentially affect 25 of CWM’s staff.
“Staff have long been aware of the intention to scale back operations – so there are no surprises that the consultation is now beginning.”
First published at 11:31, Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
They have already 'won-over' some of the public by 'saving' some sites from closure.
The truth is, come the next council elections, they can wheel out the 'aren't we good to have saved those sites' routine... which might wash with some, but not others.
This means busier sites, more containers will be changed on the opening days and therefore longer queues for the public.. that is before you consider the potential health and safety concerns, the lower recyling rates, the site staff who will be expected to do the same work in a shorter time, for less money.
Meanwhile, the council will continue to employ useless managers (some of whom, I wouldn't trust to run a bath for me) and the 'clipboard men' - who's only job appears to be wandering round trying to look busy.and don't forget, Eddie Martin has already hinted that some of the sites could still close, when the next round of cuts come in.. but I'm sure that won't happen until AFTER the next council elections.
Typical Council. Make a cut in a 'front line service' to try and garner some support from the long suffering council taxpayers.Shameful really.
Bet this gets stuck in the gatekeeper filter like most comments about the County Council's shenanigans.