Millom School pupil is the one and only among finalists
Last updated at 17:03, Thursday, 01 May 2014
THE latest finalist in the Holker Garden Festival design competition is the only individual to make it through to the last stage of the contest.
• Themes of war and peace inspire Barrow pupils
• Walney pupils praised for their WW1 memorial garden
• Barrow school reaches final of garden competition for fourth year running
• Dalton competition finalists have designs on prize
Melissa Fletcher, a pupil at Millom School, is one of the final five in the North-West Evening Mail’s World War One Commemorative Garden design competition, in association with Holker Garden Festival and Crooklands of Dalton.
The 12-year-old has created a peace garden 3D model using resistant materials in the design and technology workshops at her school.
Her garden features a fountain with lighting, a memorial, seating, paving, poppies, forget-me-nots and blue irises.
Millom School held an in-house competition with input from across personal development, history, art and design and technology.
Melissa’s design was chosen to be made into a model to be submitted for the contest.
The Year Eight pupil worked on the project after school, with assistance from her friend Lucy Simmons, 12.
Melissa said: “I feel really proud to be in the final, it’s amazing. I was very pleased with my design. I’m looking forward to going to Holker.
Schools and youth groups were asked to create a World War One Commemorative Garden design in 3D or collage.
The Evening Mail was inundated with high-quality entries from students bidding to have their designs displayed at Holker Garden Festival between May 30 and June 1 and win top prizes courtesy of Crooklands of Dalton.
The judges were so impressed with the standard of the entries that they increased the number of finalists from three to five. Two schools were also highly commended.
The finalists are being invited to Holker Garden Festival on Saturday, May 31 where they will see their designs exhibited in the Garden Theatre. They will then attend a presentation revealing the overall winner and placings. Crooklands of Dalton will present the prizes, and the finalists will also receive certificates from Holker just like the other exhibitors at Holker, with the top garden being awarded Large Gold.
Each day this week we will introduce a finalist. Melissa, of Millom School joins Dane Ghyll Primary School, of Barrow, and Dalton St Mary’s CE Primary School in the final.
The finalists will also feature in the official Holker programme.
First published at 11:39, Wednesday, 30 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together