Millom School celebrates its glowing Ofsted report
Last updated at 12:09, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
A SCHOOL is celebrating after maintaining its high standard in a recent Ofsted inspection.
Millom School, in Salthouse Road, received “good” in all categories, just six years after it was placed in “special measures.”
Staff at the school have said they are “delighted” with the result, which is the same as its previous Ofsted assessment.
The inspection took place over a period of two days, from April 30 to May 1.
Inspectors observed teaching in a range of subjects and year groups. A total of 22 teachers were seen during the inspection.
The Ofsted team carried out a detailed scrutiny of year 10 and 11 students’ English and mathematics work and a random sample of work from other departments.
As well as awarding the school a result of “good” across the board, Ofsted commended staff at the school for their relationships with the pupils.
The report said: “Exceptionally good relationships provide a positive climate for learning. Teachers know the students extremely well and help them gain in confidence and make good progress.”
Leaders at the school were also praised for their “capacity to sustain improvement” and teaching was described as “lively and motivating.”
Achievement and GCSE results were categorised as “good”, with the “most able students making particularly good progress.”
Staff at the school were thrilled with the feedback.
Head of school Simon Laheney said: “Education at Millom School has been, and continues to be, a real team effort and I would like to mention all those staff, governors and volunteers who are not always visible, who work hard behind the scenes and who keep the whole operation well administered, clean, maintained, fed, viable and legal.
“I hope that everyone reading this report shares in the same sense of pride that I and the staff do. Congratulations to everyone involved.”
Executive headteacher Ian Smith oversees both Millom School and St Benedict’s Catholic High School, in Whitehaven.
He said: “The Ofsted report fully supports our view that Millom School is a great school whichever way you look at it.”
He added: “We have worked very hard and continue to be an inclusive school – one where all students, regardless of ability and background can shine. Millom has a school to be proud of.”
First published at 10:39, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|