Millom panto delivers real warmth on a cold and wet winter’s night
Last updated at 16:21, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
THE cold, wet January night offered a stark contrast to the lively warmth in Millom Palladium last night.
The Palladium, Millom, until January 18
Audience members, some who had journeyed from as far as Cockermouth and Whicham, were swept away during the opening night of Millom Amateur Operatic Society’s latest pantomime, Cinderella.
The cast coped admirably after a couple of unexpected changes to the line-up, with Barry Vernon deserving special mention for playing integral character Baron Hardup at short notice.
Although a familiar tale, the cast managed to put their own spin on proceedings with some hilarious performances of One Direction and Pussycat Dolls songs as well as show-tunes.
Producer Jessie Conway not only choreographed a fun and creative performance, but showcased her remarkable voice and ability to hit and hold high notes in her role as The Fairy Godmother. The stars of the show were undoubtedly evil stepsisters Gorgon and Zola, played with relish by Abby Hardwick and Natasha Caldwell.
The pair oozed mischief and their comedy dance routine to ‘Don’t Cha’ by the Pussycat Dolls was a particular highlight.
John Knowles, 71, from Bowness Road, Millom, said: “It was very good. The singing stood out for me as well as the enthusiasm of the cast.
“It was very colourful; I really enjoyed it.”
David and Dani Edwards, from Cockermouth, made the arduous journey to Millom to see the panto. Mrs Edwards said: “We have been really impressed by an amateur performance. The direction, the singing and the chorus were great.”
Jane Morris-Eyton, from Whicham, said: “It was very enjoyable, and I thought the scenery was particularly good.”
Neil Sharpe, one of the Palladium’s owners and a member of Millom Amateur Operatic Society, said: “I am very proud of them, they are a good bunch and have really worked well together.
“They have been a happy cast all the way through and have done everything that was asked of them.”
Cinderella enjoys a four day run at The Palladium with evening performances until Saturday when the cast will take to the stage at 2.30pm.
Tickets will be on-sale in Millom Library, St George’s Road, and in the theatre bar prior to each performance.
First published at 16:13, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|