Millom man jailed for harassing girl, 17 on Facebook
Last updated at 13:27, Monday, 20 January 2014
A MILLOM man has been jailed after harassing a teenager on a social network site.
Arron Gow, 25, of Queen’s Park, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday where he admitted a charge of harassment without violence.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, told the court that on December 31 a series of “very abusive” Facebook messages were sent to the 17-year-old complainant.
Mrs Hine said: “A conversation he overheard in a bank prompted the messages.”
Gow was convicted of assaulting the same victim in June after headbutting and throttling her in April.
For that offence he was given a suspended sentence of 26 weeks.
Ms Maureen Fawcett, defending, said: “Gow is 25 years old and the complainant is 17.
“There is a degree of immaturity between them.”
She told the court Gow had been making “a lot of progress” and was working “extremely well” with other agencies including probation since his last conviction, and the incident was a “blip”.
Presiding magistrate Mr Steve Simm said: “The bench sees no reason not to activate the suspended sentence.”
Gow’s original sentence was reduced to 20 weeks, and he was given a further 12 weeks for the charge of harassment, to run consecutively.
Mr Simm said: “You have had a lot of support from probation and you have ignored it.
“You were fully aware of the consequences of your actions.”
Gow was also given a two-year restraining order preventing him from contacting the victim.
First published at 13:23, Monday, 20 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
âGow is 25 years old and the complainant is 17.
âThere is a degree of immaturity between them.â
The complainant is a juvenile, so immaturity is normal. The defendant however is 25, so immaturity is a pathetic defence. The magistrate correctly ignored this by stating the defendant was fully aware of his actions, but then failed to give an adequate sentence. And why reduce his original sentence?
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid