Millom man jailed for harassing girl, 17 on Facebook
Last updated at 13:27, Monday, 20 January 2014
A MILLOM man has been jailed after harassing a teenager on a social network site.
Arron Gow, 25, of Queen’s Park, appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Thursday where he admitted a charge of harassment without violence.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, told the court that on December 31 a series of “very abusive” Facebook messages were sent to the 17-year-old complainant.
Mrs Hine said: “A conversation he overheard in a bank prompted the messages.”
Gow was convicted of assaulting the same victim in June after headbutting and throttling her in April.
For that offence he was given a suspended sentence of 26 weeks.
Ms Maureen Fawcett, defending, said: “Gow is 25 years old and the complainant is 17.
“There is a degree of immaturity between them.”
She told the court Gow had been making “a lot of progress” and was working “extremely well” with other agencies including probation since his last conviction, and the incident was a “blip”.
Presiding magistrate Mr Steve Simm said: “The bench sees no reason not to activate the suspended sentence.”
Gow’s original sentence was reduced to 20 weeks, and he was given a further 12 weeks for the charge of harassment, to run consecutively.
Mr Simm said: “You have had a lot of support from probation and you have ignored it.
“You were fully aware of the consequences of your actions.”
Gow was also given a two-year restraining order preventing him from contacting the victim.
First published at 13:23, Monday, 20 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
âGow is 25 years old and the complainant is 17.
âThere is a degree of immaturity between them.â
The complainant is a juvenile, so immaturity is normal. The defendant however is 25, so immaturity is a pathetic defence. The magistrate correctly ignored this by stating the defendant was fully aware of his actions, but then failed to give an adequate sentence. And why reduce his original sentence?
Make your comment
- Assessment concluded Millom killer was ‘zero risk’
- Millom double death inquest - day three
- Witness saw Millom killer claim he was ‘the devil’ in back street
- Barrow man rammed pram into boy on bike
- Appeal to trace mountain bike stolen from Dalton
- Barrow skills and leadership academy powers ahead with new sponsor and skilled delivery team
- First glimpse inside new Cumbria hospital
- Cash will help martial arts club box clever
- Police appeal to find scooter stolen in Barrow
- MP to hold ‘ideas fair’ in Millom
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Furness Rovers delight in final triumph: with picture gallery
- Walney a real four-ce to take trophy: with picture gallery
- Hawcoat on a high after cup win: with picture gallery
- Barrow racer Jake speeds to success: with picture gallery
- Waring leads Alfred to Roose win
- A-team shock Hawcoat in Furness Bowls League
- Walney links in perfect shape for Evening Mail Open
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner
- Take a bus trip back to the past
- Film night features lost valley industry
- Charities must clean their acts
- Diver claims to have found town sub wreck
- ‘I was totally focused - I was enjoying it’
- Health Matters
- Chelsea tackled first marathon