Millom man headbutted window to flee party
Last updated at 16:39, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A MAN was so desperate to run away from the scene of a party he headbutted his way through a window.
Jonathan Hillier’s painful flight came after he and a group of friends were caught drinking together in a former cannabis factory in Wellington Street, Millom, Furness Magistrates’ Court heard.
In May firefighters fought a blaze at the house for several hours after a fire broke out in the loft.
It was found to contain 63 cannabis plants with a street value of £25,000. The court was told how on August 30 police were called by a man in the street who heard noise coming from the house.
Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, said the man heard voices and banging and decided to investigate.
“He saw five local Millom people who were drinking and partying,” said Mr Appleby.
“He described Mr Hillier who, in his urgency to get away, ran to the back door and tried to headbutt the door and the glass smashed and the defendant climbed out.”
When he was arrested and interviewed, Hillier said he had been drinking with friends and they decided to go to the empty house where the drinking continued.
He was left with a bleeding head and the door was said to be beyond repair.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, said Hillier, a chef, was sorry for what had happened.
Hillier, 25, of Albert Street, Millom, admitted one charge of criminal damage when he appeared in court on Tuesday and was fined £150.
He was also ordered to pay £100 towards replacing the glass in the door, a £15 victim surcharge and £85 costs.
Rian Protheroe, of Green Lane, Whitchurch, Shropshire, has pleaded guilty to growing cannabis and arson in relation to the fire in May. The 26-year-old is due appear again in Preston Crown Court in the week of December 3.
First published at 16:31, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together