Millom man harassed mum day after prison release
Published at 14:50, Friday, 29 August 2014
A SON who was jailed for harassing his own mum has found himself back behind bars after he breached his restraining order against her – just a day after being released.
Richard James Atkinson was sentenced to 60 days in prison last month after he harassed his mother Yvonne Atkinson numerous times for food and money, making her uncomfortable to even leave the house.
The 27-year-old was also given a restraining order stopping him from going to her home in Wellington Street, Millom.
But after serving half his sentence, Atkinson was released on licence last week and went to his mum’s house the very next day and caused her more misery. Furness Magistrates’ Court heard that he was still wearing his prison pumps when he turned up.
Atkinson, of Lord Street, Millom, appeared in court via video link from custody yesterday, after being arrested following the incident at 9.20pm on Thursday last week.
He admitted harassment and thereby breaching the restraining order. Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said: “The day after being released from prison, he has gone around there and breached the restraining order which was imposed by this court to protect her.”
Atkinson gained entry to the house and family members arrived to diffuse the situation after his mum had tried to call police. However, a fact-finding hearing has now been fixed because, despite admitting harassment, the defendant disputes some of the details alleged by the prosecution.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, told the court that Mrs Atkinson feels more settled when her son is in jail and the defendant believes she would rather see him in custody for her own piece of mind.
The court heard that before he was jailed, Atkinson was made subject to a separate restraining order in November last year and made a breach in December.
Mr Steve Simm, presiding magistrate, told Atkinson: “Because of your history of breaches of orders, we are going to remand you in custody. We feel that if we release you, you will commit further offences.”
The case was adjourned until September 18 and a Newton hearing, to establish the precise facts of the incident, will be held on October 6.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|