Millom man harassed mum day after prison release
Published at 14:50, Friday, 29 August 2014
A SON who was jailed for harassing his own mum has found himself back behind bars after he breached his restraining order against her – just a day after being released.
Richard James Atkinson was sentenced to 60 days in prison last month after he harassed his mother Yvonne Atkinson numerous times for food and money, making her uncomfortable to even leave the house.
The 27-year-old was also given a restraining order stopping him from going to her home in Wellington Street, Millom.
But after serving half his sentence, Atkinson was released on licence last week and went to his mum’s house the very next day and caused her more misery. Furness Magistrates’ Court heard that he was still wearing his prison pumps when he turned up.
Atkinson, of Lord Street, Millom, appeared in court via video link from custody yesterday, after being arrested following the incident at 9.20pm on Thursday last week.
He admitted harassment and thereby breaching the restraining order. Mr Peter Kelly, prosecuting, said: “The day after being released from prison, he has gone around there and breached the restraining order which was imposed by this court to protect her.”
Atkinson gained entry to the house and family members arrived to diffuse the situation after his mum had tried to call police. However, a fact-finding hearing has now been fixed because, despite admitting harassment, the defendant disputes some of the details alleged by the prosecution.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, told the court that Mrs Atkinson feels more settled when her son is in jail and the defendant believes she would rather see him in custody for her own piece of mind.
The court heard that before he was jailed, Atkinson was made subject to a separate restraining order in November last year and made a breach in December.
Mr Steve Simm, presiding magistrate, told Atkinson: “Because of your history of breaches of orders, we are going to remand you in custody. We feel that if we release you, you will commit further offences.”
The case was adjourned until September 18 and a Newton hearing, to establish the precise facts of the incident, will be held on October 6.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|