Millom man's blog comments caused victim ‘horrendous’ stress
Last updated at 15:22, Wednesday, 13 August 2014
A CONVICTED Millom stalker who posted false allegations about a care worker on his blog has been jailed after showing “complete disregard” for his victim.
Michael Paley, 49, of Salthouse Road, Millom appeared for sentencing at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday after being found guilty of conveying false information about Hannah Williamson.
Paley, who was jailed earlier this year for stalking another woman, posted comments on his website, Millom Web on May 4.
The claims related to the care given to Paley’s mother by Mrs Williamson.
Reading from a victim impact statement, Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, told the court that the incident had exacerbated a pre-existing medical condition which Mrs WIlliamson suffered from. In the statement, she said: “I have been under a horrendous level of stress since I read those comments.
“I used to be bubbly and outgoing and now I will never leave the house unless it’s to walk my dog, do the shopping or pick up my grandchildren.”
Mrs Williamson added that the incident had led her to miss work, strained her family relationships and forced her to do her shopping in Barrow in order to avoid Paley.
Referring to the pre-sentencing report, Mr Andrew Gibson, defending said: “It rules out supervision as Mr Paley still does not accept that what he put on the internet was false.
“It rules out a curfew because Mr Paley is at home in any case so that would not be much of a punishment.
“Finally, I’m afraid Mr Paley himself ruled out unpaid work because he said he believes it constitutes slave labour. So I have to concede that a custodial sentence inevitable today.”
Mrs Sharron Gillam, the presiding magistrate, sentenced Paley to 24 weeks in prison and imposed a restraining order.
Mr Gillam said: “You have shown disregard for the justice system by refusing a community sentence which we might have imposed and complete disregard for the life-changing impact that you have had on this victim.”
First published at 12:59, Monday, 11 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|