Millom killer returned weapon to bedroom before he fled from the house
Published at 09:09, Monday, 31 March 2014
THE weapon used by John Jenkin had been placed by his bedside, police have revealed.
Preston Crown Court was told how Jenkin kept hatchets by his bed and police revealed the weapon had been returned to his bedroom before he left the scene.
Detective chief inspector Paul Duhig, senior investigating officer, told the Evening Mail of the “distressing scene” that greeted officers on arrival at the Newton Street property on June 8 last year.
Police checked on the condition of Jenkin’s victims but were unable to help due to the extent of the injuries. DCI Duhig said: “This was a very distressing scene and was especially challenging for the first officers who arrived. These officers didn’t know if the offender was still inside and, after checking to see if Alice and Katie were still alive, had to search every room in the house facing the risk of being attacked themselves.”
After speaking to neighbours it emerged almost immediately that Jenkin was the prime suspect. A member of the public reported his erratic activity at Millom Pier and policed swooped on the scene.
DCI Duhig said Millom was a tight-knit community and following the identification of Miss Jenkin and Miss McMeekin a team of specially-trained detectives were dispatched to speak to the remaining members of the McMeekin family.
Despite the relatively low rate of violent crime in Cumbria DCI Duhig said police involved in the investigation had been “professional and dedicated” to the case. He added: “This was a challenging and distressing case, and I would like to pay tribute to the professionalism and dedication of all the police officers and staff who helped bring Jenkin to justice and work with the family, as well as the support we received from the community.”
Following the attack, the second homicide incident in Newton Street since 2009, police have stepped up efforts to reassure the community. DCI Duhig added: “Extra patrols have been deployed in the area to try to provide reassurance to the local community. Without their help and support we would not be able to do our job effectively. In this case, phone calls to the police from members of the public enabled us to react so quickly, bringing this very sad case to today’s conclusion at court which will ensure the public are protected from a very dangerous man.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|