Millom hairdresser who harassed ex by text told to stay away
Last updated at 16:26, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
A HAIRDRESSER who “bombarded” her former partner with more than 200 text messages has been ordered to stay away from him.
Alexandra Janice Mary Shaw, 38, of Robinson Row, Millom, was sentenced for harassment without violence when she appeared at Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
She had previously pleaded guilty to harassing Paul Johnston by sending a series of messages “of a personal insulting nature” to him between April 5 and 29.
The couple had been together for 12 years before they split up in October 2013.
The court heard that Shaw had sent 201 messages in total to Mr Johnston.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “I think it is right to say that she bombarded him with text messages.
“The messages were disturbing and abusive. They were threatening, not to him, but she did threaten to commit suicide.”
The court heard that some of the messages made reference to Mr Johnston’s new partner.
Mrs Hine said: “When the defendant was interviewed about the content of those messages, she fully admitted that she had sent them and that she had felt goaded into it.”
Mr Andrew Gibson, defending, said Shaw had accepted her actions had been wrong.
District judge Mr David Purcell issued a two-year restraining order, preventing Shaw from contacting Mr Johnston.
He also imposed a 12-month community order with supervision.
Mr Purcell said: “I have given you credit for pleading guilty, as you had done at the earliest opportunity, and that allows me to reduce the sentence by a third.”
Shaw was also ordered to pay a £35 fine, £85 in costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
First published at 15:29, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Police investigate stabbing
- Millom woman who injured back in crash was drink-driving
- Firm’s upgrade pledge after sale of Cumbria holiday park
- Guests have a ball raising £2.5k for Millom mayor’s charities
- Millom recycling centre closed for "urgent works" (1 comment)
- Man makes Millom ‘tip baby’ death T-shirt vow
- Millom man accused of murdering Kenya girlfriend mentally fit to stand trial
- Millom man could face death penalty after being charged with murder
- Cumbria beauty queen speaks out against bullying (4 comments)
- House detectives put name to town street
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|