Millom charity song is aired on station
Last updated at 16:35, Friday, 10 May 2013
THE launch of a charity single was a “proud” moment for a group of schoolchildren.
A year of painstaking work on the Song for Millom project reached its finale on Wednesday when the song Proud was released on CD – and got its first airtime on The Bay radio station.
The Millom Partnership of Schools Choir, which has been working on the project for just under a year, is selling CDs of the song for £5.
All the money raised from the sales will go towards funding community music projects in South Copeland.
Ruth Cullen, a freelance music teacher who has been working on the project, said: “It was the first time some of the children had heard it all the way through.
“Some of them had been singing the same line over and over again, and the brass section had to play little snippets again and again.
“You could see their faces light up and I heard some of them say it actually sounds really good.”
The £6,000 project had been funded by sponsorship from Cumberland Building Society through the Cumbria Community Foundation, the South Copeland Partnership and Copeland Borough Council.
The youngsters recorded the song during sessions in a recording studio in Lancaster, with the help of Warrington based music teacher Bob Kiernan, while Millom School art teacher Simone Faulkner helped students design the cover art for the CDs.
The song is themed around what makes the youngsters proud of Millom.
Mrs Cullen said: “We have some of the children speaking at the beginning of the song, and Clare Steele, a Year Nine pupil at Millom School, said ‘when you think about it, Millom’s got a lot of things you should be proud of’.
“She just came up with that line and that’s when we decided it should be called Proud.”
The CDs will be on sale in Tesco, Global Travel in St George’s Terrace and Millom Network Centre in Salthouse Road.
First published at 16:02, Friday, 10 May 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together