Meet Misty, possibly the cleverest dog in Cumbria - or should that be the world?
Last updated at 17:35, Tuesday, 11 June 2013
IS THIS the smartest dog in Cumbria - or even the world?
Misty’s exceptional customer service and administrative skills have seen her become an indispensable member of the workforce at world famous Lake District company Burlington Stone.
In fact, the nine-year-old border collie demonstrates the sort of discipline and dedication that most bosses could only dream about in their paid– not to mention human – employees.
For the last four years or so, each customer who approaches the Kirkby-based quarrying company’s dispatch window with a weighbridge ticket is greeted with Misty’s smiling face.
The collie then gently takes the form in her mouth and dashes off to find an office administrator to process it.
And it is not just weighbridge tickets that Misty is adept at handling.
She can also be trusted to return credit and debit cards without so much as a scratch, although occasionally they will need a cursory wipe before being pocketed.
Owner Elaine Prickett, who has worked at Burlington Stone for 35 years, said Misty, her pride and joy had been a fixture in the office since she was a puppy.
She said that Misty was never taught to collect the paperwork, but had picked it up simply from watching how the women in the office worked.
“I brought her in here as a pup and everybody fell in love with her and I’m not allowed to come to work without her,” she said.
“From about five years old she started copying us and mimicking us and she’s now nine, so she’s been doing it for a fair while.
“I don’t think we could do without her.”
Burlington Stone customer Lex Ward, who is using the quarry’s renowned slate to make over the garden of his Kirkby home, has no qualms about being served by a canine. “She lovely,” he said. “She doesn’t argue and I was delighted to see her when I came here for the first time.”
Ms Prickett, of Dalton, said Misty had always shown an unusual level of intelligence that manifested itself both at work and at home. “She’s just got this ability to learn,” she said.
“She’s got an interest in things and has done the role of a sheepdog and a cowdog before.
“She’s just generally intelligent.”
*Is Misty the cleverest canine in Cumbria? Let us know if your pet beats Misty. Fill in the form below or email your story and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will use a selection.
First published at 16:06, Tuesday, 11 June 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The limitations with border collies are the humans that are training them. They are the most intelligent dogs I know.
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory (6 comments)
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend (1 comment)
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid