Meet Misty, possibly the cleverest dog in Cumbria - or should that be the world?
Last updated at 17:35, Tuesday, 11 June 2013
IS THIS the smartest dog in Cumbria - or even the world?
Misty’s exceptional customer service and administrative skills have seen her become an indispensable member of the workforce at world famous Lake District company Burlington Stone.
In fact, the nine-year-old border collie demonstrates the sort of discipline and dedication that most bosses could only dream about in their paid– not to mention human – employees.
For the last four years or so, each customer who approaches the Kirkby-based quarrying company’s dispatch window with a weighbridge ticket is greeted with Misty’s smiling face.
The collie then gently takes the form in her mouth and dashes off to find an office administrator to process it.
And it is not just weighbridge tickets that Misty is adept at handling.
She can also be trusted to return credit and debit cards without so much as a scratch, although occasionally they will need a cursory wipe before being pocketed.
Owner Elaine Prickett, who has worked at Burlington Stone for 35 years, said Misty, her pride and joy had been a fixture in the office since she was a puppy.
She said that Misty was never taught to collect the paperwork, but had picked it up simply from watching how the women in the office worked.
“I brought her in here as a pup and everybody fell in love with her and I’m not allowed to come to work without her,” she said.
“From about five years old she started copying us and mimicking us and she’s now nine, so she’s been doing it for a fair while.
“I don’t think we could do without her.”
Burlington Stone customer Lex Ward, who is using the quarry’s renowned slate to make over the garden of his Kirkby home, has no qualms about being served by a canine. “She lovely,” he said. “She doesn’t argue and I was delighted to see her when I came here for the first time.”
Ms Prickett, of Dalton, said Misty had always shown an unusual level of intelligence that manifested itself both at work and at home. “She’s just got this ability to learn,” she said.
“She’s got an interest in things and has done the role of a sheepdog and a cowdog before.
“She’s just generally intelligent.”
*Is Misty the cleverest canine in Cumbria? Let us know if your pet beats Misty. Fill in the form below or email your story and photo to email@example.com and we will use a selection.
First published at 16:06, Tuesday, 11 June 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The limitations with border collies are the humans that are training them. They are the most intelligent dogs I know.
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together