Mariella Frostrup visits Barrow to explore her ancestor’s criminal past
Last updated at 17:17, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
A TV star headed for Barrow on the trail of her criminal ancestor.
New ITV series Secrets from the Clink starts tomorrow night and sees journalist and presenter Mariella Frostrup exploring her great-great-grandfather’s criminal past.
The half-Scottish, half-Norwegian celebrity visited Barrow Archive Centre earlier this year to look through newspapers from the time in a bid to learn more about her relative’s misdemeanours.
William Martin Eckersley moved to the town in the 1870s to become a rate collector for Barrow Borough Council, but it was as the owner of the Sun Hotel, on the corner of Ramsden Street, that he committed his crimes. As the business struggled, he declared himself bankrupt, meanwhile siphoning off the equivalent of around £2,000 for himself.
The stress of the ensuing court case caused Eckersley to suffer a stroke aged just 30, and he was left paralysed, bed-ridden and confined to a dingy cell in HMP Lancaster Castle – though evidence suggests he may have played up his disability.
While Ms Frostrup appears upset on the show by the conditions her relative endured, she ultimately found his tale uplifting.
“On the programme, he looks like quite a tragic story, but what I loved about him is he’s hilarious, a total chancer,” she said.
“I thought, ‘this will be amusing, let’s see where it goes’. But actually, by the end, I felt a real connection with him.
“I don’t think I have his resilience at all, I’m sure that jail would have finished me off completely, having seen what it was like. But that sense of being able to reinvent yourself, being fast on your feet and not taking other people’s determination to box you in, is something I’ve inherited from him.”
The two-part documentary sees Ms Frostrup and other celebrities, including Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman and comedian Johnny Vegas, learn about the crimes committed by their ancestors in the Victorian era, and the punishments they received.
- Episode one of Secrets from the Clink airs tomorrow at 9pm on ITV1.
First published at 17:12, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
How unusual for anyone to have a criminal in the family and in Barrow. Well I never - must be a first Haha
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery