Man sentenced after Barrow woman woke to find ex in her bedroom
Last updated at 14:09, Friday, 16 May 2014
AN “obsessive” ex-boyfriend who terrified his former partner by getting into her home and standing over her bed has been issued with a restraining order.
Matthew Maurizo Henson appeared at Furness and District Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday over the harassment without violence of his pregnant ex-partner Charlene Read.
Henson, 21, of Devon Street, Barrow, had pleaded guilty to the offence, which happened between April 17 and May 6, at an earlier court appearance.
Prosecutor, Mr John Appleby, said in Miss Read’s words Henson had become “obsessive and controlling” and she ended the relationship.
The court heard he had not taken the break-up well and Miss Read had to block him from her mobile.
Mr Appleby said Henson had been banging on the door at Miss Read’s home at 1.30am in the morning when she had been asleep with her two-year-old daughter.
The prosecutor said: “She woke up at 6am and he was in her bedroom and he was standing over her.”
Henson had climbed over the yard wall and got access to the house.
Mr Appleby said: “He started shouting ‘you get rid of this baby or I will’. He tried to pull her out of bed.”
Henson was chased out of the house by Miss Read’s mother. Miss Read and her daughter had been left distressed.
The court heard on other occasions Henson had banged on the windows and door.
Mr Appleby said Miss Read had said; “He (Henson) is scaring me and harassing me.
“I should not have to live with my curtains closed. He is making me ill.”
The prosecutor said she does not want a repeat of this behaviour, but she does want Henson to have contact with his child when they are born.
At an earlier hearing solicitor Mr Michael Graham, defending Henson, had said the defendant denied threatening to ‘get rid of the baby’.
District Judge Gerald Chalk told Henson: “Your behaviour was appalling to in effect break into someone else’s house and berating her. It is shocking behaviour”.
Henson was sentenced to 60 days prison suspended for 12 months and told to attended the Thinking Skills programme. A restraining order was made for four years to prevent Henson harassing Miss Read. Contact is only allowed for making arrangements about their child.
First published at 10:24, Friday, 16 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (7 comments)
- Strike planned by health workers from Furness General may be averted
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’
- UPDATE: Body found in search for missing windsurfer
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|