Man dragged from cab after Barrow taxi rank row
Last updated at 16:25, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
A BARROW taxi rank row ended in a man being dragged from a cab and repeatedly punched in the head, a court heard.
Thomas Robert McGuire pleaded guilty in Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday to assault.
The court heard how the 21-year-old security worker, of Kent Street, Barrow, had bumped in to an acquaintance, Tony Butler, from Dalton, on a night out on January 31.
Mr Butler had been drinking in Dalton before heading to Barrow. He met McGuire in Skint but did not speak to him. The pair later met in the Central Cars office in Slater Street, where an argument broke out.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “This is a nasty unprovoked assault on Mr Butler.
“He saw Tom in the taxi office and said something about a lady being before him in the queue.
“He felt as if the defendant was squaring up to him. The defendant punched him to the face, causing him to fall to the concrete and bang the back of his head on the floor. He remembers the defendant continue to punch and push him.”
Mrs Hine told the court Mr Butler’s taxi arrived and he got in. As he was telling the driver to leave, McGuire opened the door and dragged him from the taxi.
She added: “He was pulled out of the taxi and hit a few times to the face, maybe five times. He did not hit him back but placed his arm in front of himself and he continued hitting out at Butler.”
Mr Andy Gallagher, defending, told the court McGuire had shown sincere remorse and asked the judge to avoid custody.
Ms Kathryn Meek, deputy district judge, told McGuire: “This is extremely unpleasant to say the least.
“It’s an unprovoked attack that was sustained, and you went back for more.
“This is exactly the sort of offence that ruins the name of a town centre and leaves others unable to go out and feel safe.”
Ms Meek gave McGuire a 20-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered him to complete 200 hours of unpaid work.
He was ordered to pay Mr Butler £200 compensation and £85 court costs.
First published at 16:23, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
These senseless attacks will continue as long as our judiciary keep letting us down with these pathetically lenient sentences.
Make your comment
- Man, 65, suffers serious injuries in 40m Lake District fall
- Cat charge admitted by Barrow woman
- Water supply cut off in Ulverston
- Cumbria man reunites with Korean Zen master
- Former Barrow children’s doctor accused of failings defends his treatment
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- We’re picking up where we left off with Big Clean 2015
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Updated: Football fan comes forward to speak to police about Barrow AFC assault claim
- Dog walkers saved by Ulverston rescue team
- Barrow AFC boss drops Taylor deal hint
- Barrow Raiders boss holds injury concern
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)